Neeta,
User Defined simply means that the user can define if they want to use this
server or not, the simple fact that it allows them, or not means that this
is the setting being used.

Use this server means that if a user connects to your server, it's
automatically selected as the preference server, regardless of what the
user wants (interestingly, I think it's 'last one connected' that gets the
preference server setting if you connect to multiple servers with this
setting)

Use Other means that 'this' server will NOT work as a preference
server...if the user tries to connect to it as a preference server, it
won't allow it to happen.

So, basically, if you have one preference server in your environment, it
should be set to 'use this', and all of your others should be set to 'use
other' :)