Thanks, LJ.

We're not upgrading the 7.1 server, but instead have moved selected legacy Foundation data to the new 8.1 instance (re-imported via DMT so that we have new ID's and GUID's), and created new foundation data where needed to address new business requirements (also imported via DMT).

So it looks like the options are:

1) Manually re-created the SRD's in the new 8.1 system, or
2) Upgrade the 7.1 system (or a clone of it), then export from the upgraded system and import into the pre-production 8.1 system using SRM import/export.

rp