We ran a few tests.
Using the spoon  or Asset UI we were able to create relationship instances
between CIs belonging to different datasets.(So the client is not
restricting it)
However when trying to do reconciliation the identification is failing
saying the Destination CI  is not found in the source dataset.
So seems like as others suggested the only way to push these to Asset
dataset is either through multistage recon jobs and create relationships
after merging CIs into a common dataset.