ARS 8.1/OS=Windows Server/Custom App

I have a form which is used to create user request, "Allow Any User To Submit"
= Yes, since users will typically not have a license (Submitter Mode = Locked).
The application has a read only form(control panel) which is used to create the
user request. The user request are created from a list in a table field and
move to "Cart" which is just an adjacent table field. Multiple request can be
moved to the cart. This is my problem, once the user has added the needed
request, I have workflow (AL guide/loop) which goes through the table, changing
the status of the request so they can be approved. When I execute the ALs I get
an error:

You do not have write license (ARERR 8932)
You do not have write access to this record. :
7 (ARERR 331)

Although if I log into ARS using thick client with the same user(no license)
I'm able to modify the record, executing status change with no problems/errors.
I'm now confused why my workflow (Active Links) error out but doing the changes
manually apart from workflow does not error. This seems very easy and straight
forward - I've created many apps in the past that do similar functions. Any
suggestions for correcting this problem would be very much appreciated. This is
the first app I've built since a recent upgrade from 7.4 to 8.1, there are many
small changes that have caused me to relearn a few things. I'm hoping this is
another case of something new but maybe I'm just missing something obvious.

Thank you,
Russ