From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arslist@ARSLIST.ORG] On Behalf Of Rick Cook
Sent: Friday, January 03, 2014 11:58 AM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Multiple level join forms

**
We have a custom application that has a TEN layers deep join form.  Something
like
Company:XXXX:YYY:Form1-Form2-Form3-Form4-Form5-Form6-Form7-Form8-Form9-Form10_join.
BMC documentation (for 7.5) says that six is the practical limit for join
levels.

There are a large number of rows in this form, and the form is about average
size (80~ columns).  I didn't build it, but I'm trying to get the people who
did to understand why this is a bad idea, beyond "It's a performance impacting
design".
Can someone share their experiences with what happens beyond the BMC-specified
"event horizon"?  I'm guessing that the searches increase exponentially (or at
least logarithmically) in time as the complexity increases.  The two base forms
are pretty well-indexed - about six each, I think.

Rick Cook

Private and confidential as detailed here:
http://www.energytransfer.com/mail_disclaimer.aspx .  If you cannot access the
link, please e-mail sender.