**

  Original Message
From: Joe Castleman
Sent: Wednesday, March 5, 2014 1:44 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Reply To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Server Error in '/' Application following Windows Update

**
(Cross-posted to BMC Communities)

The basics:
ARS 8.0 patch 2; no apps
Mid-Tier 8.1
IIS/Tomcat
Java 1.7.51

Apologies in advance for the lengthy post:

Recently I installed numerous pending Windows updates on a mid-tier server (ver. 8.1.00 201301251157). Among these was .NET Framework 4.5.1.

Following these updates, I have a user who is getting a "Server Error in '/' Application" error page upon reaching a certain point in ARS.  The error page doesn't go into detail (because "The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons)").  It happens with either Firefox or IE browsers (though I try and encourage users to only use Firefox)

I can replicate the error on the server in question with either of the following URLs:
https://hostname.com/arsys/forms/ar_server_name/PREFIX%3AFormname/Default/
https://hostname.com/arsys/forms/ar_server_name/PREFIX:Formname/Default/

...and the error page tells me (among other things):
"Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: A potentially dangerous Request.Path value was detected from the client (:).
[. . .]
Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.18446"

I notice two things, (1) this error page appears to be complaining about the ":" (or "%3A") character in the URL, and (2) the error page says that I'm running .NET 4.0, while the Windows Update installed .NET Framework 4.5.1 -- or are those two different things?

I can *successfully* load the page if the URL looks like this:

Meanwhile, in IIS Manager, I notice that under "Default Web Site" there is now a folder which says "aspnet_client" along with the "jakarta" application that was already there.  Also, under "Control Panel -> Programs and Features" it shows "Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.1".  (On our other server, which hasn't received these Windows Updates, .NET Framework doesn't appear under "Programs and Features". However in IIS under Application Pools it indicates .NET Framework 2.0 -- which is really old but that's another story.)

Now, I am guessing that I can modify web.config to allow the ":" character. But all of this raises the question if I made a mistake by upgrading .NET Framework, and whether I should simply uninstall it.

Thanks