No, I'm not talking about server-connect-name, I'm talking about a now
outdated field on the Advanced tab of the Server Information console named
'Server Group Name'

According to my Config guide for 7.5, page 168

Define the common alias, unique server names, and
optional server group name
For each server group, you define a servername alias and apply it to each
server
in the group. The alias identifies the server group in workflow, so that
the
workflow can run correctly on any server in the group. You also define a
unique
name for each server in the group, so thatthe servers in the group can
identify each
other, and so that you can direct administrative or specialized operations
to a
specific server. Both the server alias name and the unique names must be
resolvable by DNS.
*You can also define a Server Group Name, although this is now optional. It
is not *
*used in release 7.5.00.*

and then on 169

The server group name
The server group name was used in some earlier releases in relationship to
licensing, but it is no longer necessary to set this value. In release
7.5.00, this setting
is not used. However, you can optionally set it for informational purposes.

Interestingly in the 8.1 Wiki docs, it references it, and doesn't reference
that it's optional

https://docs.bmc.com/docs/display/public/ars81/Setting+security+options+using+Server+information+form+settings

yet, when I look at ALL of the servers that I have in a server group, this
'Server Group Name' value is blank

I tried setting it and the value gets retained, but not stored in the
ar.cfg as I would have expected it to be saved....so, I know it's saved
somewhere, but know it's not saved in the ar.cfg, but regardless of where
it is saved, the value is not in use in 7.5+, so there is no point in
setting it.