What's the management like there?  That's really where it has to start.  There
are so many self-help and self-improvement books out there specifically because
we humans are so bad at it.  ITSM is basically self-improvement for I.T. so it
will suffer from neglect in the same way if there isn't sufficient pressure to
stick with it.  So for management, they need to be the ones driving this thing.
 Claire mentioned hiring new people to help overworked folks.  That's a
double-edged sword because it reduces job security for the "I.T. hero" types,
but helps out management who need to identify if people are underworked or
overworked.  It helps find reoccurring problems and get them truly fixed rather
than have people do workarounds over and over.  From an upper I.T. management
perspective, if they aren't doing some form of ITSM, they really don't have
control of their organization.  As a result, the most successful shops I've
seen are where usage of something like Remedy is a requirement from the top.

Upgrading will be good, but the Windows User Tool won't work with ITSM on 7.6.4
or 8.1 so you have to be prepared for that.  However, there's not really any
additional functionality that you will gain which will impress the BOFH unix
types.  If you had people who were more into Twitter and mobile phones and
stuff you'd probably be able to get them on board from a technical standpoint,
but you have the exact opposite.

Thanks,

Shawn Pierson
Remedy Developer | Energy Transfer