James,

"Fast" queue is for operations that are performed against a single item -- think
CreateEntry, ModifyEntry, DeleteEntry, MergeEntry, and all of the Get and
GetList
Definition calls.  These are calls that are ones that generally complete quickly
without long blocking of the environment.  I emphasize generally as they can
have
workflow that is inefficiently defined that does delay operations

"List" queue is for search operations.  Think GetListEntry,
GetListEntryWithFields.
These are operations that may be fast or may take a while depending on how much
data and the efficiency of the operation.

The idea behind these was to separate operations that are rapid from ones that
do
searches to balance load and allow for controlling the operation of the system
and optimizing throughput and performance.

What is interesting is that over the past 20+ years of the system where this has
been in place, the rather global level of segregation has proven to be rather
good at segementing load and has allowed for pretty effective ability to control
threads and optimizing throughput.  Good enough that other than providing for
private queues so that customers can optimize direction of traffic for specific
use cases, it is the best balancing of calls to allow the best throughput that
we have yet found.

So, "fast" are operations that are generally controlled in DB interaction
(baring
workflow) and return quickly and "list" are search operations with wildly
varying
return times and DB resource impact.

I hope this helps,

Doug Mueller