Hello Listers,
ARS 8.1.00
MS SQL 2008
MS OS 2008 R2

While I'm working on my DSO issues and the report publisher I also came across
a problem in some workflow.

I've been calling the soundex() function for years in my Customer Form to make
it easier to look for names that may be spelled incorrectly.
You know Smith instead of Smyth and such.

Since we've moved to the new system the set fields action is returning
non-displayable characters  in the thick client and what looks to me like
oriental characters in Mid Tier.
Is this a Unicode setting or does ARS 8.1 not handle the returned varchar
properly?

I just run a Set Fields filter using SQL as the data source with a query of
SELECT SOUNDEX('$User Last Name$')
Then I set my field Lname_Soundex with $1$

Can this be corrected or is there a better way to search and manage similar
names?

Thank you,
---
John J. Reiser
Remedy Developer/Administrator
Senior Software Development Analyst
Lockheed Martin - MS2
The star that burns twice as bright burns half as long.
Pay close attention and be illuminated by its brilliance. - paraphrased by me