Joe,
Just the other day I was helping a friend setup a 'home install' of Remedy,
and I was having difficulty trying to get the DB running on 1433, just as
you are describing....I went through the configuration, enabled TCPIP,
configured it to run on 1433 in all the places I could find, for all of the
IP's, etc...couldn't get it to work properly...so, I eventually, dropped to
a command prompt, did a netstat -a -n -o, and looked for the process ID of
the SQL Server Process, and found what port it was running on, and used
that in the installer...

Afterwards, the Remedy service doesn't have issue connecting, because it
uses the native client, not the same thing the installer does....

Just a thought for you to get over this hump :)