Fred/LJ,

FYI, ITSM has a variable concept within the Task Management System (i.e.
Change and Incident Tasks).  They allow data to be passed between records.
Often they are used in automation (BladeLogic uses them in its integratio I
think).

https://docs.bmc.com/docs/display/public/change81/Variable+templates

*Variable templates* are the registration records that the task
> administrator creates and defines for variables in TMS.
> *Variables* are pieces of data (for example, in a change request or an
> entry in the parent object) that are passed to and from task groups and
> tasks, and into flows in TMS. This information can be recorded and used as
> the basis for making decisions in qualifications or as input for other
> tasks, task groups, and flows. Variable data can be generated
> automatically, or it can be supplied manually by resources working on the
> task.
> In the definition stage, the task administrator creates variable templates
> that are used for mapping in to or out of fields. Then, during the
> execution stage, these variables exchange data between the task group,
> task, or flow at runtime.
> You can register any piece of information as a variable template. You give
> it a name and assign it a default value, if needed.

Like you guys I am a custom developer but I have also dabbled in ITSM the
last few years.

Jason