Madhu,
In a post from Doug Mueller on Feb 23rd 2012, he had this to say regarding
the mismatch

"First, it is not a surprise to us that there are differences in lengths in
the DB and in the Remedy length under some conditions.  This is actually a
designed behavior of the system (which I will explain).  There are other
conditions under where a difference is benign -- but not expected.
Finally, there may be conditions where a difference is NOT benign and is
definitely not expected.

First, the majority of cases, the field length in the DB will match the
field length in the AR System definition.

Now, in the case of mismatches....

For those cases where the DB length is GREATER than the length in the AR
System definition, this is a situation that is expected and as designed.
It occurs when you have a character field that has a maximum length such
that a varchar or nvarchar or equivalent type in the database you are using
is created (generally 4000 to 8000 bytes in the currently supported
databases) and you make a change to the AR System definition to make it
SHORTER.  In this case, we shorten the length definition at the AR System
level but do not restructure the database.  Several reasons for this.  One,
the database stores varchar and nvarchar (and the like) types using only
the space you need.  So, it does not take the full length definition.  This
means that the same amount of space is used in the database for both
lengths -- it is about the data content.  Two, it saves a DB restructure
operation from being performed to restructure the column to match the new
length.  So, the end result is a more efficient operation with no downside
from the perspective of data storage.  It also has a side effect of not
truncating data for cases where customers have changed the length, realized
that it is not correct, and then made it bigger again.

NOTE: If you make the length LONGER -- even by 1 byte -- from what the AR
System thinks it currently is (regardless of what the DB length actually is
as that length may be longer from a previous shortening of the length), we
DO cause a DB restructure and will change the length of the DB column to
match the AR System definition.

So, for systems that have been around a while and have lots of different
upgrades and customizations that have been performed, you may end up with
quite a few cases where the AR System length is shorter than the DB
length.  All interaction with the system and create/modify/merge operations
will enforce the AR System length for all new records."

On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 6:05 AM, Madhu V <madhu.pesronalandpriv...@gmail.com