Hi,

Bernhard Dippold wrote:
Hi all,

Graham Lauder raised this idea in the thread about the OOoCon templates.

To raise awareness about this topic I paste the relevant part of his
posting and John McCreesh's reply to this new thread:

On Mon, October 5, 2009 20:50, Graham Lauder wrote: [snip]
How about this for an Idea. We, the Art Project, produce a whole
pile of alternative OOo Logos, then the speakers can choose the
ones they individually like for their presentations. Who knows
the people at Conf might see one really cool one and say: "We
should have that as our Logo."

John McCreesh replied:
I'd love to see a display at OOoCon with proposals for a new OOo
logo... but I think we may have left it a little late for Orvieto?

As far as OOoCon 2009 is concerned, the Conference team have already
designed their logo (as is their 'right' as organisers), and Bernard
has incorporated it into an excellent template. Encouraging people to
use a single template helps the OOoCon branding.

Conf is the place for breaking new ideas after all, let's extend
that to the artwork.
Agreed. It would be great to launch a "LOOok for a LOOogo" there!

John -- John McCreesh - Marketing Project Lead - OpenOffice.org Come
to OOoCon in November - http://www.ooocon.org

Even if there is no guarantee to replace the present logo with one of the newly created logos, this would show that we are moving forward.

And there is no better opportunity than the OOoCon to convince stakeholders of the more conservative logo of the possibilities of an update in marketing, visual identity, user reception and community feeling.
I could imagine that a major sponsor of OpenOffice.org will take the chance within the next months also to contribute to this topic. I'm not sure if this will be in time for the Conference, but I'm sure that a discussion during OOoCon will be useful and constructive. So I'm looking forward for many contributions regarding this topic, but I would also like to ask for a differentiation for the various aspects: the logo itself, the splash screen, the Application Icons, other branding elements etc. I see this at least as a two step process: 1. Collect input and ideas as a basis for developing some design objectives. 2. Collect design proposals based on these objectives. Having an iterative process for a new OOo logo in place would ensure that we will not exclude contributors which get out of the race at early stage.

just my 2c,

Martin