I faced this problem a little while ago, and had to ask genbank to do the conversion for me! Can you hazard a guess as to why Genbank makes this so difficult? Genbank put forward the .asn format as a standard format yet they don't offer a conversion utility (e.g. from genbank or embl format to .asn). I haven't tried the program mentioned below. How long has it been available?
Mike D-S

Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 11:25:54 +0200
From: "Michael Nuhn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [Artemis-users] Preparing Artemis annotation for Sequin
        submission
To: <artemis-users@sanger.ac.uk>

Re: [Artemis-users] Preparing Artemis annotation for Sequin submissionHello!

I am the one who wrote the program that converts an embl file to sequin table format.

If you have questions or need any assistance in using the program just ask me.

You should definitely not do a copy and paste orgy.

Regards from germany,
Michael.