Sometime in 2015 I'm aiming for an extension to ARTIQ for low-latency,
high-bandwidth optical interconnect for ARTIQ peripherals. This
underpins several applications. For example,

* streamlined real-time control of lab peripherals used by trapped-ion
and neutral atom AMO groups; "real-time" means latency much lower than
qubit coherence time

* all-digital, closed-loop PID loops spanning devices distributed
around a lab; requires deterministic (<< 1ns jitter), low-latency
(<100 ns), Gigabit-bandwidth  links

* break ground loops for laboratory peripherals; use commodity Gigabit
optical links

* clock and control synchronization for distributed quantum systems
(e.g. quantum networking, quantum-enabled sensors)

When planning for this so-called Distributed Real-Time I/O (DRTIO)
upgrade to ARTIQ it's necessary to answer the question "What type of
clock stability is needed by trapped ion experiments?" Here's my go at
it.

-------

# Trapped Ion Qubit Timing & Clock Requirements
## Ramsey for qubit
Here's a physics example that illustrates the type of clock stability
that a trapped ion qubit experiment would require. Do a 1 second long
Ramsey interference experiment on a 10 GHz qubit. This involves a pair
of short microwave pulses separated in time by 1 second. The microwave
source is locked to a low phase noise reference oscillator. If the
integrated phase error on the 10 GHz between the two pulses is pi
Radians the atomic coherence is lost. To ensure that oscillator phase
noise is not the limiting factor aim for a phase error of less than
pi/10 over 1 second, a stability of 1e-11 is needed. A spin-echo
sequence will give insensitivity to slow (<1 Hz) variations in
reference oscillator frequency at the 1e-11 level.

## Ramsey for clock/sensing
If the aim is to use the Ramey-type experiment to sense B-field (or
local oscillator) drift, greater stability is required to beat down
quantum projection noise. One hundred repetitions of the 1 s Ramsey
experiment would require 1e-13 reference oscillator stability. This
level of stability is straighforward when a high quality reference
oscillator is co-located with the 10 GHz microwave source.

## Adiabatic trapped ion transport
Another physics example is the timing requirements for DACs used to
define the harmonic trapping potential of trapped atomic ions. For
non-adiabatic transport of ions it's useful to have a DAC update (~100
MHz) rate that is much higher than the ions secular motion (~1 MHz).
In this case a 1 ns jitter seems adequate relative to 1/100MHz. As a
more stringent requirement, we might require that ion motional heating
following diabatic transport be delta_n << 0.1 quanta. As a worst-case
limit use expression (2) in Ref [1]. Assume,
' 9Be+ ion, v = 1mm/10us, fCOM = 1 MHz and t = 10 us + epsilon.'

epsilon    | delta_n
--------------|----------
1e-9 s     | 0.11
0.1e-9 s  | 0.001

Therefore, by this metric we desire << 1 ns jitter. 100 ps deviation
over 10 us would be adequate. There are experiments I could imagine
that would require at or below 100 ps deviation over intervals as long
as 1 ms.

## Proposed DRTIO target
What should be target for DRTIO? Jitter below 100 ps should be
adequate for DRTIO devices responsible for ion transport. And, a wide
variety of ADC applications. If DRTIO devices are to be used for
distributed Ramsey experiments this requires much lower jitter (< 10
ps) and places additional demands on the stability of remote
oscillators. Initially, I'd say it's OK if DRTIO aims shoot for the
first criterion. Sound good?

-------

# DRTIO work plan
With these performance criteria and the demonstrated performance of
White Rabbit in mind [2], here's a proposed work plan for bringing
DRTIO to ARTIQ.

**Step 1)** KC705 to KC705 loopback test over SMA cables

**Step 2)**  KC705 to KC705 loopback test with SFP (single-mode
bi-directional fiber link for Rx/Tx)

**Step 3)** Two KC705 linked by SFP, 10 m fiber

**Step 4)** Integrate DRTIO link into ARTIQ's RTIO core

**Step 5)** Demonstrate DRTIO using one KC705 as Core Device (and
master clock) and second KC705 as Satellite. Link is DRTIO over fiber.
Satellite implements 32 channel TTL PHYs. Test that Objectives 3,4,5
are met using TTL PHY on Satellite and TTL PHY on Core Device.

For each Step demonstrate that Objectives 1 to 5 can be met.

**Objective 0**... Deterministic pseudo-random data generator; e.g.
64-bit counter scrambled by something like SHA1

**Objective 1**... Recovery of 100 MHz clock from serial link; clock
recovery sufficient for sustained data transmission at 1 Gbps

**Objective 2**... Demonstration of 1 Gbps transmission with error
rate 1e-14, 1 Gbps over one day of running

**Objective 3**...  Comparison of two synchronized KC705 100 MHz
clocks: RMS jitter <5 ps over periods of 1 ms and 1s; maximum peak to
peak skew < 20 ps over 1 second

**Objective 4**... Round-trip determinacy:  <10 ns jitter in
round-trip, over 1 minute observation period (1 m cable length)

**Objective 5**... Round-trip latency <200 ns (including all
latencies: FPGA logic, FPGA Transceivers, SFP; excluding fiber
propagation), over 1 second observation period (1 m cable length)

Please comment. Some will be delighted if we used markdown on mailing
list discussions. See the following markdown editor
http://dillinger.io/

-Joe