On 20 Nov 2015, at 21:35, Britton, Joe wrote:
Are you referring to the long stack trace in the issue?

Yes. The long stack trace is part of the problem. A distillation of what I'm advocating for in #173 is the following (==173a).
* Single line per Logger entry.
* No change to filter or log levels.
* Information for each Logger entry beyond one line (e.g. full stack trace) is shown optionally. Use eg http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtreeview.html with just one branch per Logger entry. With one click user could see all info.

I've recently had the pleasure of doing some consulting work for a large-scale storage company. The nature of their work (highly distributed system with a large number of concurrently active fibers per node) makes a robust logging system essential for being able to debug problems at all.

What they are doing is to show a single line per log event (indented according to the depth on the respective call stack), which can be expanded to show a full backtrace by pressing the enter key. Together with a powerful (and snappy) filtering system, this made it the most convenient tracing system I've ever used.

Of course, that kind of flexible logging is probably much less of a priority for ARTIQ, but the productivity gain from said system was so impressive that I would now consider building that kind of unified logging into every distributed system I work on. You might also want to consider logging stack traces by default for all log levels where it wouldn't be prohibitively expensive performance-wise.

 — David