On Saturday, December 17, 2016 12:02 PM, Sébastien Bourdeauducq via ARTIQ wrote:
Before DRTIO can operate, the clock chip (HMC* on Sayma and AD9516 on
KC705) needs to be running.

Strictly speaking: this is needed only for the two-KC705 system. But we might as well use the same scheme everywhere, and it avoids the corner case of operating the kernel CPU with no RTIO clock running.

The generic chip configuration code should go in firmware/libbsp.

With the RTM FPGA, SPI will have to go over the SERDES link. I'm still thinking about a generic "I/O expander" similar to mini-DRTIO; we can have half-rate, quarter-rate, etc. updates for some pins in order to save bandwidth.

Sébastien