Hej Simon,

can you help me understand it then, please? I do want to find the best solution, not necessarily the quickest. (But simplicity is part of the criteria for “best”.)

/Stefan

On 29 Jan 2021, at 7:11, Simon Pfreundschuh wrote:

Dear Stefan,

I guess all I can say is that I am quite confident that you didn't properly

understand my proposal, which could quite easily handle the pressure

dependency. Anyhow, it's quite clear that you are searching for a quick

solution and I won't be able to provide that. So let's just cut this short.

/s

________________________________
From: Stefan Buehler <stefan.bueh...@uni-hamburg.de>
Sent: Thursday, January 28, 2021 5:02:28 PM
To: Simon Pfreundschuh
Cc: ARTS Developers List
Subject: Re: Simon plans for scattering properties

Dear Simon,

thanks for the summary!

I think I understand more or less how this works now. A bit unfortunate
that so much information has to be moved around at the controlfile
level. (The copying of grids from one variable to the other, the copying
of the scattering data themselves.) Is the idea that you would then in
practise store and load directly the ScatteringHabits, in order to make
this easier?

On where the Rayleigh scattering fits in: Patrick suggested when we
talked yesterday that perhaps a more logical way to think about this is
to distinguish between *gases* and *particles*, rather than between
*absorption* and *scattering*. (Including Rayleigh scattering with the
PND system really does not work, as it turns out, as it depends on
pressure.)

Perhaps we should move towards a *gas* / *particle* division in ARTS.
That would mean including the Liebe rain absorption in the particle
part. It would also affect your nomenclature, since one should then
preferably talk about *ParticleSpecies* rather than *ScatteringSpecies*.
(And *gas_species* instead of *absorption_species*.)

All the best,

Stefan