Dear Renish,

do you use Planck or Rayleigh-Jeans brightness temperature? For Planck, you should indeed approach the ambient temperature if you go low enough.

Cheers

Stefan

On 20 Apr 2021, at 12:46, Thomas,Renish wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I had some questions about the calculated brightness temperature in ARTS.

When I calculate the brightness temperature for an atmospheric scenario in "horizon looking mode" and in clearsky. I get a brightness temperature at 183.31 GHz (Water vapor absorption line), which is about 3 to 6 degrees lower than the ambient temperature.

I would assume that at the water vapor absorption line and at low altitudes (~2 km above sea level), I should measure very close to the ambient temperature (Due to high absorption).

So, my questions are:

1.) Is this brightness temperature bias expected?, or can something else cause this?

Thanks,
Renish