jj

I have to give it to him though, he sat quietly through a lot of
abuse,. Yes, the 3rd appraisal is binding. If it comes in higher (I
wouldn;t hold my breath again, but hey, surprise me) the developer
can contest it. What happens in an arbitration is that the parties
(usually the one who likes it) asks the court to affirm it. The
court has limited power in overturning an arbitration decision
unless there were certain deficiencies. Also, it depends on whether
the federal or state laws prevail, and typically, the former only
applied when inter-state issues are involved. However, in NY we have
recently had a number of decisions which are confounding people
which laws apply. For the record, I have been involved in a few
arbitrations in which affirmation of the awards were still held up
in the courts for a year or two or more. If the city were really
serious, both parties should take back their appraisals and we start
from scratch both on the same premise and done correctly. I suspect
much of the problem stems from the written agreement of how the
appraisal process is to be done and on what basis. I am led to
believe from the developer's side that it is supposed to assume the
zoning prior to the redevelopment plan and consider the other costs
the developer is to expend in the area. AGain, I don;t know what is
the truth here, but remember, this entire agreement was
characterized as being "developer driven." To be honest, however, we
may be stuck with the written agreement no matter how lousy it is
unless malfeasance or incompetence can be proven. I still think they
are missing the big picture with regard to the inherent value of the
waterfront land, no matter how dismal things looked in 2001 or 2002.

--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "jerseyjohn99"

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Q7_YsB/neXJAA/yQLSAA/Y2tolB/TM