In a message dated 1/13/2005 9:26:46 PM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
Jimmy Keady without War their will never be Peace ((your famousword)).If we should be in Iraq or shouldn't I am not sure.When thesesoliders come home they will be treated with respect that theydeserve to give you your famous Word (Peace) by me.I hear Canada is in need of a soccer coach's with your princples in case you are interseted.One way you could help Veterans is tell them thank you for giving you that word (Peace)you like to use so much not finding ways for them to go againest their Chain of Command.I am not going to go back & fourth with you on this you have my number.
Jim,

I agree that we should not have a personal back and forth on this list as other listmembers may not be interested in discussing this issue.  However, since you offered your criticism publicly, I will respond in kind to this email and then we can discuss this privately if you would like.  I offer my thoughts below in the spirit of Thomas Jefferson, his writings have always offered me significant political inspiration.

"Difference of opinion leads to enquiry, and enquiry to truth; and that, I am sure, is the ultimate and sincere object of us both. We both value too much the freedom of opinion sanctioned by our Constitution, not to cherish its exercise even where in opposition to ourselves." --Thomas Jefferson to P. H. Wendover, 1815. ME 14:283

First, my "peace" to which you referred, is not something that can be given or taken away by anyone.  My peace comes from my attempt to live my Catholic faith, loving and serving my God and loving and serving others as best that I can.

Second, I am firmly committed to the principles of non-violence.  I believe it is the only way that a lasting peace can be secured.  In light of this, I try as best I can to follow the examples of my heroes - Jesus of Nazareth, Mahatma Gandhi, Martin Luther King, Dorothy Day, St. Francis of Assisi, and St. Ignatius of Loyola.

Third, regardless of how you feel about it, the men and women who are part of Iraq Veterans Against the War and Veterans for Peace are Veterans as well.  As I read through their writings and listen to them speak, I am deeply moved by their shared belief that there are other ways to resolve conflicts rather than war and we must begin pursuing those ways.  I support these Veterans and their efforts wholeheartedly.

Fourth, I also feel very strongly, that regardless of their position on war, any man or woman who serves this country in combat is owed a significant amount of support from this country upon their return.  That is why I am appalled by recent cuts in Veterans' benefits, closing of VA hospitals, cutting combat pay, cutting benefits to families, etc.  I have made my positions on these issues quite clear with my Congressperson and Senators.

Fifth, as far as "going against their chain of command," I believe that one's foremost duty is to his or her conscience.  In the Catholic faith, we believe that one's conscience is a person's personal connection to God and one should never be forced to go against their conscience.

"Man (and woman) has the right to act in conscience and in freedom so as personally to make moral decisions. "He must not be forced to act contrary to his conscience. Nor must he be prevented from acting according to his conscience, especially in religious matters."[53]  (Catechism of the Catholic Church, paragraph 1782)

Finally, your insinuation that I move to Canada deeply saddens me.  I love my country far too much to leave it when I feel She needs me most.  We are in a dangerous time in our Republic.  It is a time when reason, rational discourse, critical analysis, deep philosophical reflection and actions based on the aforementioned are deeply needed.  These are what I offer to my nation each day and I will continue to offer them till my death.

Always in Peace, JWK