Hesh,
  I dont hear anyone (at least anyone here) saying that bush is
hitler. But ,for your own sake, please dont downplay the rights
milestone that the patriot act and the patriot act 2 are(as well as
mandate for the national id card, both of which were bundled in the
recently passed security bill). What these acts have done is legally
pave the way for facism to take a firm hold. An analysis of these
acts will reveal that the system of checks and balances has been
severely skewed. All of the power now lies within the reach of the
justice department. That, coupled with the fact that the justice
department now has the ability to override most 4th amendment rights,
spells good cause for a closer look.

  I think that it might be more to your approval to compare the
patriot acts with Ermächtigungsgesetz or the 'enabling act' instead
of the Blutschutzgesetz. A close disection will reveal that the
enabling act pales in comparison to the patriot acts. These, of
course, are just my opinions. That being said, it seems pretty black
and white to me. Let me be clear, i am not saying that abuse of our
rights is going on now, but these provisions have clearly paved the
way for a legal repeal of the bill of rights, and without keeping a
vigilant eye out it leaves us (as americans) exposed to all sorts of
troubles.

  I would be interested to hear your take after reviewing. Here is a
site that lays out four well thought out comparisons.

http://www.furnitureforthepeople.com/actpat.htm

  I know i run the risk of being labeled an 'extreme leftist', but
that is not the case. It just seems that center is rapidly moving in
a 'right' direction. You even have such GOP stalwarts as pat buchanan
saying enough is enough of the neo-con machine. I generally resist
using the terms left and right. It is too much of a generalization.
In this age of information, people are much more individuals in their
beliefs than ever before.

  I will always choose to err on the side of caution when it comes to
rights. The caution being to losing them. It only took hitler a few
scant years to go from being nominated for a nobel peace prize to
unleashing zyclon b on camp detainees.

respectfully yours, tony

p.s.-- thanks for the add on myspace.
www.myspace.com/tonytedesco

p.p.s -- i gotta wonder where docp is in all of this.

"But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by
the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price
if you wish to secure the blessing.  It behooves you, therefore, to
be watchful in your States as well as in the Federal Government." --
Andrew Jackson, Farewell Address, March 4, 1837

--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "Heshy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Skip,
>
> While I do agree with your point that we need to learn to get along
> with everybody on the planet (which also means that the rest of the
> planet ought to learn to get along with us as well, and not try to
> destroy us for whatever reason), the extent to which you're willing
> to stoop to criticize America's policies is staggering. You can
> protest as much as you like about Iraq and the Patriot Act, as is
> your right. But for heaven's sake, do not compare the USA with Nazi
> Germany. Despite the superficial "With G-d On Our Side"-esque
> comparison you draw, the similarities are specious at best.
>
> Face it, Skip, and this goes for all the extreme leftists out
there:
> the Patriot Act is not the Nuremberg Laws. The Department of
Homeland
> Security is NOT the Gestapo, And, fercryingoutloud, BUSH IS NOT
> HITLER.
>
> I work as a Historical Content Analyst for the Shoah Foundation in
> LA. I sit all day and watch the testimonies of Holocaust survivors,
> aid givers, and liberators. I see and hear from the source what the
> Nazis and their collaborators did. While I may not have inside
> information about the Dept of Homeland Security or even prison
guards
> in Iraq, I can tell you on the basis of what I do know that there
is
> NO RESEMBLANCE WHATSOEVER.
>
> And as the son of a Holocaust survivor myself, I find that invoking
> the Nazis to score political points insulting, as well as
cheapening
> to the memory of the victims.
>
> From one member of the tribe, and of the human race, to another -
> find another way to make your point.
>
> ~Heshy
>

> --- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "SkipDragon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> The extent to which we suffer stagflation and oil shock directly
> > results from our continued belief that we possess divine destiny,
> > much akin to a now deceased government that also ran amuck; in
> their
> > case they deluded themselves with a notion of a 1000 year Reich.
> > Seems somehow in our defeating those folks, we incorporated a
good
> > bit of their belief that they were omnipotent.  Curious that
those
> > most patriotic have fallen for the Department of Homeland
Security;