JerseyJohn99 says,"Since the cutoff for enlistment is 34,
and no one with more than 1 dependent is permitted to enlist, I'm
afraid there ARE barriers to us who feel we have the most to
protect."

    I'm sure you're right about this, JerseyJohn, but that's cold
comfort to the people who are way beyond "the cutoff", who actually
have not only children, but grandchildren in some cases, and are
serving in Bush's Iraq War.  We liberals call it a "back-door draft",
and we'll need a front-door draft soon if Sy Hersh is right (and he
scores a lot higher on the truth-meter than Condaloser Rice) and
we're getting ready to invade Iran next. "I-ran"---sounds like
something Bush could say about his service in another war in which
some poor kid had to take his place.   As far as Iraq goes, I don't
think age would be a barrier for prospective willing warriors.
Neither do I think dependents would be.  Hell, I don't think Depends
would be.  The only thing that I think worries a guy like Sec. of War
Rummy is that he'll run out of ink in the automatic pen they use to
sign his condolence letters.
                                                  Frank D'Alessandro