Jim

I am a product of catholic grammar and highschool. All boys and
taught by Fransicans. I have the bruises to prove it. I am a
believer in the catholic school system and in fact, am ignorant of
the public schools systems. My entire family went to catholic school
and I have sent my daughters to catholic grammar and high schools.
The catholic schools have done a great job on a fraction of the cost
of public school. It is my belief that the public schools have
greater resources and ability to give a better education than
catholic schools. It has always been my belief, although with no
support, that it is the family that makes the difference, since I
believe that decades ago there was little difference between
catholic and public schools in terms of education and that is
because parents, the family, gave their children over to the
teachers and reinforced the authority. Many of us, whether we went
to catholic or public schools, that if we came home and said that we
got in trouble in school that we would probably get hit again. I am
not supporting a return to this kind of system, but I beleive that
no matter what is done or taught in schools will be to no avail if
it is not reinforced in school. I have heard, and am proud as a
product of catholic education, of the great success stories of
catholic schools in poor urban areas. However, I also beleive that a
large part of that is dues to the fact that the families of these
students are making much of the difference, which I think is
supported by the fact that they are looking to send their kids to
the school in the first place. I worry as catholic schools become
more like public schools in that rules are not reinforced. Having a
number of years between my daughters I see younger parents' behavior
who always assume their kids are right. I can't believe the nonsense
that is tolerated in a lot of catholic schools today. Of course we
live in a different day and I wouldn't want my kids to be subjected
to a lot of the physical punishment that I had to go through (I
swear it wasn't me Brother!). The simple matter is that you can be
kicked out of a catholic school but the public schools are to a
large extent, the last stop. All you have to do is teach kids how to
learn and be disciplined and above all, give them a safe environment
in which to flourish. They will take care of the rest themselves.
Abe Lincoln learned in a log cabin. While these are the basic
requirements, in today's world, they can almost be impossible to
provide. I know with every wrinkle on my face I get more
conservative. However, we will never solve the problem in public
schools without people being forced to tow the line. If they don;t
they have to go. I know it sounds harsh, but somebody has to be
thrown out of the lifeboat less everyone goes under. Throwing
obscene amounts of money into the public schools won't make any
difference. I know I have gotten off topic here, and I will always
support the catholic education model. However, I don;t think will
solve all of the problems. It will however, provide a choice for
those (students and their families) who want a safe environment in
which to learn when their local public schools cannot. You have to
change the mindset of the families and give more leeway to the
school authorities to get rid of the troublemakers. School or
juvenile home. Remember the truant officer from the little rascals?

 -- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> In a message dated 1/24/2005 12:20:25 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> Imagine taking 5 8th grade boys from AP and placing them there to
> excel....
> Or imagine bringing a high school similar to CBA to Asbury Park,
but one that
> is much better positioned to meet the needs of our kids here.  I
have already
> very generally started this discussion with the Society of Jesus
(the
> Jesuits) in the Maryland Province.  My idea is to have one of
the "Cristo Rey" model
> high schools here.  I lectured at the Jesuit's Cristo Rey High
School in
> Chicago two years ago.  It is an amazing place.
>
> If you want to learn more about the Cristo Rey model, here's a
short blurb
> and the website is http://www.cristoreynetwork.org/.
>
> The Cristo Rey Network™ is a national association of high
schools that
> provide quality, Catholic, college preparatory education to young
people from
> low-income families who otherwise could not afford such an
opportunity. Member
> schools have their own identity but are characterized by a
curriculum that is
> tailored to the students' needs and by the unique Corporate
Internship Program
> developed in 1996 by Cristo Rey Jesuit High School of Chicago
through which each
> student finances the majority of the cost of his or her education.
> During the 2004-05 school year, 1,929 students are studying at the
11 Cristo
> Rey schools, which are located in Austin, Cambridge (MA), Chicago,
Cleveland,
> Denver, Lawrence (MA), Los Angeles, New York City, Portland (OR),
Tucson, and
> Waukegan (IL). Ninety percent of the students are of color, and
their median
> family income is $31,847, with an average family size of four. The
Cristo Rey