No you're hitting it. Let's assume that the deal, as bad as I and
others think it is, was really the best that could be done. My point
is that should be admitted  rather than trying to defend it and
allow multiple modifications, again all in the favor of the
developer. Certainly, not to come out as my favorite council member
did a week after adopting one position, reverse himself publically
and call the Triangle a good deal. Non one (at least not me) is
trying to hang anyone here. But let's call a spade a spade. This
development should be much further along by now. The Time Warner/AOL
Center at Columbus Circle went under contract in 1998 (and was the
subject of previous proposals which met with community opposition)
and close in 2000. By mid-2004 it was substantially built, and we
are talking several million square feet of diverse uses. I know its
Manhattan, but Columbus Circle was not good when the deal was done.
It was squatter city, I know because I did most of the U & O (use
and occupancy) cases to vacate the old Coliseum. For the most part,
this council has gone out of its way to defend the developer and
permiited him to default on most of his obligations. As I said, the
deal is done, but for godssake, don't make believe its manna from
heaven. Our council needs to play hardball and realize that Asbury
Partners is out for its own good (as it well should be) and not for
ours. That is our council's job. Draw the line in the sand and use
whatever meager leverage this lousy deal gave us. Start getting some
legal redevelopment advice that is in your, and not the developer's
best interest. And for all you know, Hovanian pulled out for other
reasons. Maybe it didn't want to get its pockets picked by a
middleman.