Fascinating article. I've found one major disparity between Coney
Island & Asbury Park. Coney Island has "Coney Island Development
Corporation", which seems to be similar to New Brunswick's DevCo.
According to their website:

http://www.thecidc.org/aboutus.html

"The Coney Island Development Corporation was formed in September
2003 by the Mayor, the City Council and Brooklyn Borough President.
The 13-member Board of the CIDC includes City officials, local and
Brooklyn-wide business and community leaders. It is charged with
spearheading and implementing a comprehensive planning process for
Coney Island and creating a coordinated economic development
strategy for the area. New York City Economic Development
Corporation (NYCEDC) Chief Operating Officer Joshua J. Sirefman
chairs the Board, and each of the members serves for a term of two
years."

Although Thor Equities is buying many of the stands & concessions,
business & community leaders will have a say in how Coney Island is
redeveloped.

We shall see in 10-15 years the difference between a Development
Corporation versus a private entity developer.

--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Food for  thought:  Read "Asbury Park" for "Coney Island."
>

> In Coney Island's Future, Looking to Past Glory By _JOSEPH BERGER_
> (http://query.nytimes.com/search/query?ppds=bylL&v1=JOSEPH
> BERGER&fdq=19960101&td=sysdate&sort=newest&ac=JOSEPH
BERGER&inline=nyt-per)