"I'm all for freedom of expression, but keep in mind that this is an
open publicly readable forum and everything here gives readers a
perception of not only the posters but of Asbury Park in general.
Isn't it hard enough for the few of us concerned posters to stay
credible without a comment like that."

Werner, Food for thought; I'm truly delighted that you're "…all for
freedom of expression…", so long as it's not too freely employed?
However, your message supports a grand hypocrisy that it's not what we
believe, think and do, but rather how we appear to others that
matters.  Appearance has become the end all, the measure of value and
legitimacy.

Therefore, "a comment like [mine]" is perceived as so dangerous or
injurious, that though clearly made in jest, you feel I must be
chastised.  Ya know we used to burn witches; we don't do that anymore,
we've evolved, today we have political correctness, a lovely device
that incinerates words that might offend.  Life is so much easier when
we can ignore an interest group that acts obscenely in mass by voting
for one of theirs, despite his meager skill set.

Obviously "…everything here gives readers a perception of not only the
posters but of Asbury Park…" that's at the heart of why we're doing
what we do.  But consider there's more to communications than a
chronicling of fact; there is also a need for relief from detail,
unfortunately not every utterance flies, not every word works and not
every argument wins.

I suppose we each have a threshold of acceptability, but do enlighten
me, which is the greater injury, a one liner of dubious taste or a
community that is perceived as the driving force behind a city's
regeneration, adopting a position of near unanimity in supporting a
government that chooses to hear, see and speak no evil, irregularity
or deficiency; in blindly agreeing to a corrupt and damaging deal,
which threatens that very rebirth?  Sadly, particularly in Asbury at
this moment, it's not just who we know, but why, how and what we know.