Thanks for the well stated assessment.  You clarified what I was feeling.  (Just a little joke but I do agree)

-----Original Message-----
From: wernerapnj <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Mon, 09 May 2005 14:29:57 -0000
Subject: [AsburyPark] Re: CHECKMATE!

--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> It seemed to me more an impassioned response to constant carping.
> That'll beat specious reasoning any day.

The greatest divide I have seen in the past four years has been
between the following admittedly oversimplified groups:

Type A - Those who have no experiance in the deciplines needed to
evaluate if the redevelopment process and decisions have been in the
best interests on the City. Driven primarily by being part of the in
crowd and happy to see any movement perceived as positive no matter
what it may be. Ready to repeat the catch phrases of progress to
remain in good standing with the in crowd. Rarely if ever attend
Council, Planning Board, Zoning Board, and other public meetings.

Type B - Those who have a background in planning, law, zoning,
history, preservation, urban redevelopment or are at least willing to
learn about them or have long term knowledge about Asbury Park.
Driven primarily by seeking out the facts about the redevelopment and
its effect on the community and wanting to settle for nothing less
than the best decisions. Unconcerned about being accepted by the in
crowd and participates in public meetings.

In the Myers-Briggs type of personality profiles these two groups
would most probably score at opposite ends of the spectrum. In
general more people are driven by "feelings" than there are people
driven by "logic".

The feeling types, A in my example above, will tend to gravitate
toward a common position that re-enforces the group. The B types
above will tend to question and challange information in the search
for the facts. This leads to discourse that inhibits the formation of
a larger group B collective.

The bottom line is that there are too many "feelers" in Asbury Park
and not enough "thinkers" and that has had serious adverse
consequences to the long term future of this City.

(Just some more specious observations) Or are they ??

Werner