Man, this is getting to be very esoteric.  Both words are from facere, to do or to make. Details and source below:

Fact
[Latin factum, deed, from neuter past participle of facere, to do.]

Factory
[Late Latin factoria, oil press, mill and Medieval Latin factoria, establishment for factors, both from Latin factor, factor. See FACTOR.]

Factor
[Middle English factour, perpetrator, agent, from Old French facteur, from Latin factor, maker, from facere, to make.]

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Third Edition copyright © 1992 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Electronic version licensed from InfoSoft International, Inc. All rights reserved.

I remember this from a lesson in graduate school:

The sentence "Christopher Columbus discovered America in 1492" was on the chalk board, and we were to discuss the "truth" of this fact.
Every word in that sentence except in turned out to be debatable.  Was it Columbus or the Vikings or...?  Discovered would amuse the natives who had been here for millennia.
1492 is a Christian number which differs from the Chinese, Islamic, Jewish, Mayan, etc.

The point was that facts are manufactured or constructed from a particular point of view.

My apologies to the list.  I didn't think I would be asked for a detailed explanation.  I still think the quotes made the point best.

Mario