> The fact is that they never tried
> to be tourist attractions.  They are largely family residential
towns
> although I wouldn't put Sea Girt in that list.

It appears you are conceding that a residential town on the beach
without tourism can and does work.  That is what I want for Asbury
Park.  I was here when it was a tourist attraction, and it's
magnificence has been greatly over-romanticized by the people who
never saw it.  It will be better as a residential community on the
beachfront.

That's why I support the incumbents.

--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, Lighty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 5/10/05 4:41 PM, "bluebishop82" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Then with your assumptions, please explain to me the decades of
> > success of places that were never "tourist" attractions like Sea
> > Girt, Allenhurst, Monmouth Beach, Avon, Brielle, Loch Arbor.  Why
> > are they not failing as you assert Belmar is right now?
> >

> I believe you answered your own question.  The fact is that they
never tried
> to be tourist attractions.  They are largely family residential
towns
> although I wouldn't put Sea Girt in that list.
>
> Asbury Park was known and is still known throughout the world for
the beach
> and for music.  It's a shame to throw all of that away simply
because it may
> be "difficult" to become a tourist attraction again.  When I was
young, kids
> went to Asbury Park and Long Branch and rarely went to Point
Pleasant.  That
> town now gets more tourist revenue than many towns could dream
about.  I do
> not see any reason why a town like Asbury Park couldn't regain its
stature.

> The difference is that I believe tourism can help solve many of
Asbury
> Park's economic problems.  Meanwhile the lessening of tourism has
deeply
> affected the economic problems of my town (Belmar) although as
correctly
> pointed out, the value of our houses has increased dramatically.
How long
> that will happen with a disappearing Main Street has yet to be
seen.