On 6/2/05 1:10 PM, "dfsavgny" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> That being said, I think we all want something spectacular for that
> site, something that will utilize most of what's there as feasible.
> They just don;t build them like that anymore.

You may be right in that anything can be restored.  I think the people of
the city should know what the status of the building is.  After all, it was
sold to Asbury Partners with the idea that at least a portion of it would be
restored.  The residents deserve to know what has happened since the sale
and when the restoration is slated to begin.

Unfortunately, I think people may paint themselves into a corner if they
insist on restoration.  The city doesn't have the money to do it and since
the building is in Asbury Partner's hands, the city doesn't have a reason to
do so.  Restoration will require a significant amount of money - something
that I don't think Asbury Partners is willing to spend.  But if a compromise
was made where the building would be rebuilt in the same image as before -
would that really be so awful?

Maybe we can build them like they used to if given the chance...