At 2:19 PM +0000 6/20/05, oakdorf wrote:
>they should coordinate the stolen bike (mostly) auction with the event.
>
>Joe - you got to realize that not every single person that happens onto
>cookman will spend anything. Begreen is different because you have food
>and drinks over the counter. While the shops are intersting - not
>everyone needs what is offered.

That is exactly why you don't block access to the stores on a day that they are
open with an event that doesn't bring shoppers. The shoppers who did want to
buy want the shops are offering had no chance of getting to them.

All the parking on Cookman Avenue from Main Street to Summerfield was blocked.
All the parking on Mattison from Bond to Cookman was blocked. All the parking
on Lake -- including the 75 space muni parking on Wesley Lake -- was blocked
from Main to Grand. All the parking in Press Plaza was blocked. All the parking
on Grand from Summerfield to Lake was blocked. Even the VFW Hall's private
parking lot was blocked.

This was a cool event. It was poorly planned and it gave no consideration to
how it would affect the businesses or visitors that weren't there for the bike
race. It has no place downtown.  Period.

As for Bob -- whoever he is -- he must have spoken with different merchant then
I did. Universally, the downtown merchants expressed dissatisfaction with the
event and the decision to move it downtown.

My last word.
~joe