I've never heard that story but I wuldn't dispute it. There was an
African-American newspaper here edited by Roosevelt Elmore, Sr. Worked with the
son at Bell Labs and now I know why he was so militant! I always thought he had
a chip on his shoulder. Someone gave my husband a photo copy of an issue and
the SAME crap that was happening in 1964 is magnified in 2005! I swear, photos
of junk yards where black kids had to pass to get to Bangs Ave. school, are now
the site of the new Neptune Early education site on Memorial drive but Atkins
Ave. homes were torn down by Neptune authorities to make way for a new project
and that land stayed dormant until recently. I moved to the state in 1970 and
the burned out carcasses of Springwood Ave. were here when I arrived and that
land lay vacant until recently. When I was on the Board of Adjustment, Konvitz
sent his construction manager to ask for a variance to complete the project.
They found out that they didn't need a variance because the use was the same,
home construction. All they wanted was to change the use from 2 bedroom to 3
bedroom. Not a problem! Also during the testimony of the manager he revealed
that that area because it wasn't being used had become a dumping ground for
stoves, refrigerators and large refuse items that before any construction could
be started, the land had to be dug up, they had to remove these items to lay
down sewer, gas and electric lines. See what happens in the ghetto? Any damn
thing goes because "those" people are there and ther's "nothing" they can do
about it! Powerless is what the people in that area are. Your tax dollars at
work! Where were the police, code enforcement? Where? Remember, this ws before
Lou Jordan came onto the force! My commission expired 12/31/99. Check the
records!

Sharon Boone
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Please note: message attached

--- Begin Message --- There was a time when African Americans were not allowed to go onto
the beach in Asbury Park. Oh, i'm sure if we dig deep enough we will
be able to find something on the line of "Whites Only" Ask some of
the ole' timers about Katherine Harris and how she was the
instrumental force in desegregating the beach. How her husband " A
Fair Skin Black Man"  and talented sand sculptor with one arm who
wore a "fez" and did not speak, {although he could} so no one really
knew what nationality he was. Do you think if the officials knew that
Lorenzo Harris Sr. was an African American he would have been allowed
on the beach?

Were any of you aware that the Klans had requested to march on the
beach/board walk. {i'm talking about back in the day, stay with me
now}
and the mayor at that time i believe his name was "Heinrich" dont
quote me on the name, i'll have to go thru my papers to get his
correct name,
anyway; he told the klan if they wanted to march they could march
down "Springwood Ave". {He said in hopes of the klans taking him up
on the offer, so the Italians and Blacks would run their hooded
ass'es out of there. They did get a chance to march, they marched
down Ridge Ave to Corlies Ave where they had their headquarters.
Oh, i have lots of stories to tell, but i'll save them for another
time.
Not much changes but the time. There are different forms of racism,
it's still alive today.

--- End Message ---