--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "bluebishop82" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Business is business.  Tillie is dead
> because no one could re-coup a $16 million investment with pinball
> machine quarters as a return.  Economics rule (as it should).

Tillie (The Palace) is dead because of not planning for it to
survive. At the time of the bankruptcy settlement the Palace block
was zoned for amusement commercial uses. At that time the original
carousel and ferris wheel had been purchased by private investment
(Bill Sitar) and returned to NJ from Mississippi.

It was well publicized that Mr. Sitar was prepared to redevelope the
Palace block with an investment of several million dollars. Not as a
pinball arcade, but as a first class family entertainment venue
combining historic rides with 21st century commercial and retail uses.

Had that been planned for, we would now (3-4 years later) have a
major tax ratable and tourism attraction instead of a vacant lot. The
zoning on that site was changed to primarily condo use at the request
of the 'master developer'.

Yes there was a contingency for 1/2 the palace block to be saved but
only if the Fishman's unrealistic price of $2.5 million were met. I
had a meeting with Larry regarding this and attempted to explain the
good business sense of striking a deal with a competent developer
(Mr. Sitar).

Larry did not comprehend that having a private investment (other than
ones own money) of several million dollars completed next to property
that he owns is a 'good thing' and would increase that adjacent
property's value. His only concern was that he get $2.5 million or
nothing.

Both Larry and the City got exactly that, nothing but a vacant lot,
all due to bad planning or more accrately, no planning at all. Bad
economics rules in Asbury Park.

Werner

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/Y2tolB/TM