"Which one of these countries has ascended?    Japan is the most
overatted country of all time, have you bought in to the hype? The
South Korean economy is down the tubes, how are they a success?  They
are certainly better off than there communist brethren in the  North,
but that is due to the US helping them.   India is a hell hole, have
you ever been there?     The only reason China is on the map right now
is CHEAP LABOR.
Do you want that "SUCCESS" here?  I am completely confused by your post?"

Tim brother of Tom?

Ascendancy is the state that exists when one person or group has power
over another.  I chose these countries because they represent an
alternate economic system to the USA, yet one in which "central
planning, over-planning and bureaucracy" may well account for much of
their success; a success that has caused them to outpace the economic,
scientific and technical capacities of most of their neighbors and
much of the world.

You seem to favor the story of Ireland, good for you but when I look
around; most things I consume seem to be made in Asia.  It really
doesn't matter who helped these countries get started, and it doesn't
matter that their people live in conditions you abhor; the way we're
going, the fact we now manufacture virtually nothing suggests to me
those conditions you abhor may soon become our reality.

The US suffers from the view that it can do no wrong; any nation that
buys into that reasoning is in for some harsh surprises.  This country
prides itself on possessing any number of clichéd qualities; the one
at issue is capitalism.

I don't know if there exists a true capitalist economy in the world,
but I do know the US economy is partially capitalist with huge
controls and preferences to insure favoritism to large economic
entities.  Unfortunately those entities are better at playing this
game than government; the result seems ever more inescapable, we are a
nation in decline.

For the faint of heart I suggest you continue to bury your heads in
the sand.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/Y2tolB/TM