OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH! I want to comment but don't dare. Received an email saying to Get back To Asbury Park! When I logged in yesterday, after not posting for a week, I FOUND comments on Katrina here, already! Being a native of New Orleans, which I have NEVER kept a secret, I replied to several posts. So if someone would like to start another thread, I'll join you there. I celebrated my 61st birthday on Monday, but thel ast week was filled with events given by my family and friends, which kept me from posting! My two sisters, who still live in town called me last Friday, the 26th, to let me know they were headed for hotels in Houston. One niece was already in Dallas on business and saw no reason to return to N.O., knowing that the evacuation order had already gone out. Bush had a week to put troops, water and food into place, but didn't! The deaths and treatment of so many people predominantly Black, rests soley on his head! Now my family has no place to return to! My sister's home is under water. The other who lives on Burgundy St., right outside the French Quarter, won't be allowed back in for 2 months. They are employed and in business there. Everything is gone! I have about 15 first cousins, an ex-husband and his relatives missing! My brotherinlaw hasn't been seen since he was forced to evacuate the West Bank for the SuperDome, so Werner, this is it for me, okay? The rest will do what they want, without me. They've done it all week! I just returned to this group yesterday, so you want your group back? You have it!

Sharon Boone
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

-- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Tom,  your comment:

Yup.  Another clear case of "Bush Derangement Syndrome."  Your
hatred of the Bush family has retarded your ability to think clearly.
seems to a clear case of what George Orwell called the "defense of the indefensible."

The list of Republicans and conservatives harshly criticizing the president this week speaks volumes: David Brooks, New Hampshire's Union Leader, the Washington Times, Tony Blankley, et al. Hardly "Bush haters."

Here's some clear thinking from Howell Raines:

"Almost as unbelievable as Katrina itself is the fact that the leader of the free world has been outshone by the elected leaders of a region renowned for governmental ineptitude.

Louisiana's anguished governor, Kathleen Babineaux Blanco, climbed into a helicopter at the first possible moment to survey what may become the worst weather-related disaster in American history. Even Gov. Haley R. Barbour of Mississippi, a tiresome blowhard as chairman of the Republican National Committee, has shown a throat-catching public sorrow and sleepless diligence that put Bush to shame.

This president who flew away Monday to fundraisers in the West while the hurricane blew away entire towns in coastal Mississippi is very much his father's son. George H.W. Bush couldn't quite connect to the victims of Hurricane Andrew, nor did he mind being photographed tooling his golf cart around Kennebunkport while American troops died in the first Iraq war. After preemptively declaring a state of emergency, the younger Bush seemed equally determined to show his successors how to vacation through an apocalypse.

On Tuesday, he urged people to stay where they were, even if their evacuation residence might be the leaking-roof, clogged-toilet Superdome. On Wednesday, as he met by intercom with his emergency team and decided to return to Washington, as Pentagon and Homeland Security promised relief by the weekend, intensive-care patients were dying at Charity Hospital in New Orleans. They had languished for two full days because the overworked Coast Guard helicopter crews available in New Orleans did not have time to reach them.

The populism of Huey Long was financially corrupt, but when it came to the welfare of people, it was caring. The churchgoing cultural populism of George Bush has given the United States an administration that worries about the House of Saud and the welfare of oil companies while the poor drown in their attics and their sons and daughters die in foreign deserts."

mjd