The survivors on TV have said they couldn't leave because it was the
end of the month or they needed to wait for their paychecks and they
had no money in order to leave. The transportation you mention is
not free.
The OEM should have corraled the public & school buses to aid in the
evacuation.
I can believe that a city with a predominately black population can
be run by blacks and ran well. New Orleans wouldn't have the tourist
trade it has if it wasn't run properly. Asbury Park is one of the
few exceptions,as we have seen. In fact most of the big cities in
the US have mostly black residents and are ran fine with black
elected officials.
There is no way the entire city could have been evacuated in time if
they were told to do so. Physically impossible.

--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "Sharon G. Boone" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> [...]
> a city run by Blacks FOR Blacks, is that efficient, huh? Well, it
is,
> which is why the Mayor was so upset that the FEDS didn't come in,
> when asked. Washington knew 7 days in advance, that a major
hurricane
> was going to hit the Gulf coast! Going up the chain of command,
the
> governor did contact the FEDS. They IGNORED HER! She called the
> President on Wednesday, as a last resort! She, not Nagin, is the
> governor. You all seem to have inherent racism, built in to your
> psyche, so you just can't imagine a city being WELL-run by a
> minority, where the minority is the MAJORITY! All you can see is a
> black face out of control, a screaming, crying, white WOMAN! Wait
> until the emergency is over and the TRUTH comes out! My sister
left
> New Orleans for Houston, on 8/26/05, Saturday! They WERE told!
>

> > First of all, and i heard this on TV and not sure if it is true,
> the
> > resident were not told to evacuate in a timely manner. If all
the
> > residents had the ways and means to leave, the infrastructure
would
> > not have been able to handle it. It would have been one big
parking
> > lot.
> > Knowing it is the end of the month and also that most residents
> live
> > paycheck to paycheck, You don't just tell them to evacuate, you
> have
> > to aid them in the evacuation. Supply transportation to get the
> > residents out.Transport them to a safe area to ride out the
storm.
> > They had concerns about the roof of the Superdome before they
> > seltered the residents there.
> > Coming across the Gulf the hurricane was a catagory 5. The
> officials
> > knew the levees were built to withstand a catagory 3. So they
were
> > aware that the levees could be compromised and unfortunately and
> > sadly they were.
> > After that sonny boy vacationed in Crawford and went to a party
in
> > Ca. without giving any thought to the victims in the Gulf states.
> > Just a side note. Al Sharpton just took the press to task,as you
> > have been doing, told them to stop calling the
> survivors "refugees".
> > I'm not to crazy about the guy all the time but at least he is
> never
> > afraid to set anyone straight. I'm now glad that Kanye was cut
off
> > on the show last night. Because they did it has been all over
the
> > press & net.Now everyone knows what he said not just the ones
> > viewing the show.MSNBC,NBC etc. should be ashamed of themselves
for
> > cutting he off but now I say thank you. <:~)

THE
> > > STORM
> LEAVE
> > > THE

> > need

> > > Not living there now, the Governor is in Baton Rouge, the
State
> > > Capitol. I wouldn't expect her to be in New Orleans or any
> > outlying
> > > Parish during the height of the storm. Remember, the storm by-
> > passed
> > > New Orleans. It was the levee that burst, that inundated the
City,

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/Y2tolB/TM