Werner,
New Orleans CAN rebuild without the government and retain its'
architectural integrity. It might take a while, but you wouldn't have
Halliburton grabbing everything, a YEAR before it happened! What's up
with that? What did Bush/Cheney know and when did they know it? 've
read that they found blasting redisdue on the leters, thus, the big
BOOM, heard for miles around! This smacks of the London bombings and
9-11. While there is STILL a big hole in Manhatten, 4 years after,
the "planned" bombing of the London buses and subways while, Guiliani
and Co., were in London in the SAME stations, "rehearsing" an attack!
Ironic, isn't it? Ironic, also the tape showing him walking away from
the twin towers, too, very calmly! It's just too pat for the levees
to break in 3 places. One place, yes! Three? Can you say "blasting
caps"? This in the only City in America that brought charges against
Clay Shaw for the Assassination of JFK! Just a little ironic, huh? I
am NOT a conspiracy theorist or anti-Bush, just wildly curious at the
offers being made to former residents of a paltry $3000! Just as they
did at Chavez-Ravine in the early 50's, stripping a Hispanic
community of their homes and lands, Bush wants to turn a 300 year old
city into a french disneyland, a la Vegas style. Public and low
income housing were supposed to replace the homes in Chavez-Ravine,
but guess what's there instead, Dodgers Stadium! Imminent domain
abuse in SPADES! How much would you bet me, that the lower 9th ward
will NEVER be rebuilt, just as C-8, with it's rusting structure is a
lawsuit, waiting to happen? Posting as a Native New Orleanian and not
some "flash in the pan"!
--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "wernerapnj" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> An enlightened New Orleans, Werner
> ----------------------------------
>
> Monday, September 19, 2005
>
> The Times-Picayune
>
> OUR OPINIONS: Rebuild with character
>
> The new New Orleans deserves neighborhoods that look like the ones
> Hurricane Katrina flooded. Without the federal government, the city
> could not rebuild. But that help should include a promise to
rebuild
> this architecturally unique place in a way that's authentic.
> Once the rebuilding is done, New Orleans must look like New Orleans.
>
> At no point in its nearly 300-year history has New Orleans been
> mistakable for other cities. One could never have parachuted into
New
> Orleans and confused it with Little Rock, Ark., Des Moines, Iowa,
or
> Cape Girardeau, Mo. No, if you were in New Orleans, you knew it. If
> you couldn't tell where you were from the sounds of jazz, the taste
> of the étouffée or the sight of Carnival parades, then you could
look
> at the carefully crafted houses and know for sure.
> There are bound to be some people who will say New Orleanians are
> asking for too much and that we ought to be satisfied with whatever
> we get, as long as it's safe and functional. They will be wrong.
> Although it's true we are concerned about how the future New
Orleans
> will look, we are even more concerned about how it will feel. It
will
> not feel like home unless it feels strangely foreign to everybody
> else.
> There are organizations in the city, the Preservation Resource
Center

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/Y2tolB/TM