Title: Re: [AsburyPark] Break The Bank

Theatres are great I too enjoy them.  I will be performing in a community theatre play this holiday season.  I also took classes at the Long Branch Equity Theatre.  However, why would it benefit a small community like Long Branch with three theatres???

This is not New York City.

So, we shouldn’t set our sites for good things because NYC is close?

I wanted to see Lewis Black the comedian, so I drove into NYC.  Paid $50.00 to park the car.  $75.00 each for tickets.  Gasoline and tolls 20 - a meal at The Carnegie Deli $100.00.  I enjoyed it.  That was weekend before last.  Last February I went to a play on the West Side of NYC... Just about the same costs.  That's my contribution $700.00 two nights out.

You could have traveled five miles and see Lewis Black in Red Bank as well.

The last few times I went out on the locals I spent less than $70.00 and had just as much fun.

My point is, we don't need to take property by eminent domain to create theatre districts, or do we???

I’m against the use of eminent domain.  All I’m saying is that I could show a million studies with proof about how cities and towns are revitalized through the arts.  Long Branch could certainly handle three theaters  just as New Brunswick has created a “theatre row” with three theaters all performing world-class productions as neighbors to each other.  What’s the population of Long Branch versus New Brunswick? I’d guess they weren’t that far apart.

Try visiting the theatre district of New Brunswick one night.  You’ll see just how vital of a role those three theaters are to the local economy.

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS