"…cookman faces the wrong way. Cookman should be the service street,
not Lake."

Half a street comes up short on critical mass; retail needs both sides
to provide enough choices to generate pedestrian traffic/shoppers.

I can't think of a successful retail half street, though they're prime
residential locations.  Residential eats up having a view, think of
Central Park, waterfront, golf courses, vistas, etc.; the half street
is one of the problems with Main at city hall, the parking lot is dead
retail, doesn't even provide very much parking.