> Additionally, there were no shopping malls, so there was no where else
> to go anyway.

More and more downtown areas are becoming successful because people are
getting turned off by the shopping mall idea.  It's a regular cycle I think
and the tide has turned to more of a downtown preference.

> That's why I've always disagreed with Dan Jacobson's hope of an
> artist's mecca.  When you are New Hope and you have thousands of rooms
> for rent to vacationers, you can have that.  People blow money on
> unusual things on vacation.  When you are trying to attract local
> residents, you are dead without small staple items that people have to
> buy every day.

Does anyone really believe Dan wants an artist's mecca?  I haven't met a
single artist that believes he does.