In a message dated 2/15/2006 12:57:12 PM Eastern Standard Time, AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com writes:
Last night my wife (who is also Italian) and I commented on this. We
laugh (with love) at our peasant background but make no excuses.
There is a reason we speak Italian the way we do and that is
precisely because of the slang that our forebearers spoke. They
didn't speak "book Italian" if they did not have schooling and many
did not. Do you know that up until WWII the Italian Army had to have
translators because many soldiers could not understand each other?
My Mom, God Rest her soul, was Italian.  She was born on near Hester & Spring Streets in Little Italy.  She was the first generation born in the States.  This makes me Second Generation, my children third.

While in High School, in addition to the Latin I was forced to study as a good ROMAN Catholic in Catholic School, I had to select another language.  I took Italian.  "Di Langua de florentine."  Thats the language of Florence.  It is the hi bred italina.  My mom was reared on The Naples dialect, my grandfather, her dad - spoke the dialect commonly found in Sicily.  I called it Sigi.  Point is none of them understood me when I spoke what I learned in school however they understood each other.

My grandfather explained why?  He told me many villages had little different ways of communicating so that it would be easy to recognise who was family and friend and who was not.  I believe the Italian language has more dialects than any other language in the modern world.

What amazes me, is how legaleese simulates the same fact.

Just so you all know, my dad was from Ireland, he was half Scot.

I has a step father who was a Bensonhurt Jewish Roofer.  At 10 I was in Temple on Friday, Confession on Saturday (because I was inTemple on Friday) Church on Sunday and playing in the streets all the rest of the days.

I am not complaining I was the only kid on my block that got away with eating HAM, even on Fridays.

You got to love America... I do...

Whats my real point...

WETHER YOU ARE FROM ASBURY PARK, LONG BRANCH OR PARTS ELSEWHERE.
We have trouble in River City, and "We The People" need to get on the ball and speak the same language.
No EDA
No Development without true blight.
No Officials using donated dollars from those benefitting from their decisions.
and most of all 100% participation in our civic duty... we all need to go to the polls and vote!!!

Rev. Kevin Brown
New Jersey, United States of America

Asbury park home Asbury park nj Asbury park hotel
Asbury park foreclosure Asbury park real estate Asbury park

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS