--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Tom, do the taxpayers vote on a  new firehouse?

No I don't think so.  It isn't set up like school budgets, which I
think are voted on by statute (?). Municipal law isn't my area of
concentration, so I could be wrong, but I think the answer is no.
Let's ask City attorney Fred R.

Let me tell you a quick story.  I had to speek a couple of weeks ago
with other Freeholder Candidates in Colts Neck, at their Municipal
Library.

The Library was obviously new and it was a beauty.  It had a
traditional American appearance.  Inside was very well designed with a
fireplace in the reading area.

I complimented some of the elected officials on the building.  They
said to me:  "Yes it's new, and we built it without spending any tax
dollars."

To which I replied, "Errrrrrr, ya did what?"   They replied, "That's
right no tax dolllars, this one and the one across the way."  The one
across the way was another beautiful building.

Here is how they did it:  Donations.  Can you believe that?  I asked
if they had fundraisers and perhaps a professional team that assists
in that regard.  Nope.  Get this:  They just started asking and the
residents started giving.

I turned green with envy over the community spirit.  No one complained
that this one or that one wasn't doing their job, etc.  No fighting.
Their town was in need so they made donations.  Talk about Mayberry.
I'm completely jealous.

So what do you think, Asbury Park?  Do we have that kind of community
spirit in us?  Could we just start asking for donations to see if we
can build the firefighters a new firehouse?