> The parallels between New Brunswick & Asbury Park are not that far
> off. New Brunswick was DEAD in the late 80s/early 90s. Rutgers was a
> suitcase school, emptying out on weekends. Of the 30-odd thousand
> students, 80% of them lived within 20 miles of campus. The only
> thing open on George Street was pawn shops & bars. Driving down
> George Street during the day, you were solicited for crack. At
> night, you were solicited for sex in between gunshots.

You're right.  I remember having friends work in Brunswick and being
terrified when they had to work late nights back in the early 90s.

> The parking decks aren't filled with college kids, who can park
> anywhere they want on campus on weekends. They aren't filled with
> JNJ employees who have an underground deck between George & Albany
> and free use of the Hyatt deck. The decks are filled with people who
> drop a few hundred dollars on a weekend night and go home, not
> burdening New Brunswick's schools, utilities, or social services.

If anybody thinks places like the Harvest Moon are getting nothing but
college kids at $5 or $6 a beer (when college bars can still be found at $2)
they're nuts.

People are COMING to New Brunswick because they made it a SAFE, HIP place to
go.  And, whether people want to admit it or not, parking plays a role in
that.