--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Lots of collective wisdom on this board, so I figured I'd ask here.
>
> I just read the Coaster article about the city's plans for  new
parking
> meters.  Does anyone have solid information (e.g., studies)
regarding the pros and
> cons of parking fees in towns like Asbury  Park?  I'm not
predisposed either
> way, just curious.
>
> Wasn't free parking one of the reasons shoppers originally flocked
to  the
> malls, deserting town shopping districts in the process?
>
> Regarding beachfronts:  What's the rationale behind Belmar having
meters and
> Spring Lake (and I think Bradley Beach) not having them?

I thought JJ or Oak discussed this a while back and referenced some
material. I can see both sides of the equation. In one respect I can
envision "affordable" parking in certain areas, downtown and the
beachfront. Most beach towns do not have free parking. Then again
the costs to administer and collect (theft) the revenue has to be
offset against the potential revenue. Hopefully someday, parking
will be at a premium in AP (it is in certain areas at times). On
good weekends you might have to park a block away from the beach. In
most towns, you can;t get within 3 blocks. If they decide to go with
meters, NO COINS for thieves or employess to steal. You sell parking
cards and have the modern (solar powered) central meters and put the
receipt in your windshield. That prevents both theft, minimizes the
number of meters, and precludes false tickets.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/SISQkA/gOaOAA/yQLSAA/Y2tolB/TM