Last night, I had the pleasure of working with Asbury Radio at the Baronet.
I was really surprised how beautiful the theater was inside.
It looked great, smelled great, and it has that great, timeless ambience that I
just love.
I'd rather go see a movie in a special place like that anyday, rather then go
to a multiplex.
There's a similar theater in Ridgefield Park called The Rialto. Very classic,
and it even has a
vintage "Magic Lantern" projector hidden away in its projection booth.
I sincerely hope that AP saves this gem. It would be a terrible loss if the
Baronet, The Fast
Lane and Asbury Lanes goes away.
A community needs places like those. Sure, housing is great...but people need
to get out
in the world and be part of a community.
The speakers at last nights event were great, and Maureen was an excellent host.
One of the speakers was a councilman. His name escapes me, but he raised a
number of
great points.
One that stuck in my mind was his comment about how everybody in the theater
last night
was white, and how the racial mix of AP is 70% black, and 30% white. It sort of
makes me
sad that the black community wasn't represented.
Hopefully, as we all move forward both communities will come together more
often.
One thing about the theater that I love is that it's in my neighborhood...it's
not in some
crappy strip malls parking lot. I don't think i've ever had the chance to walk
to a movie
before, and that is something I really look forward to.
It would be nice if the Baronet survives and starts to show great movies like
the theater in
RB shows. Maybe even matinee's for the kids.
You know what would be cool, if somehow, the Baronet could embrace a bit of the
past
and try and do movie shows like they did in the days of old, with little films
leading up to
the feature, and maybe even some live entertainment mixed in.
I remember they used to do that when I was a kid at the Circle theater in
Eatontown. The
place was always packed.
Hopefully, the Baronet will be preserved so that future generations can have an
alternative
place to see a movie.