Aren't there "attractive nuisance" laws that dictate how property
must be maintained when children might be involved?

I found this explanation at an on-line legal site (note the specific
reference to construction sites)

"An attractive nuisance is a potentially harmful object so inviting
or interesting to a child that it would lure the child onto the
property to investigate.

An unenclosed swimming pool, for instance, or a fountain containing
goldfish could be attractive nuisances. Ordinary objects can attract
and injure children: an idling lawnmower, paint sprayer, table saw--
even the family auto.  Children are also fascinated by construction
sites and equipment, gasoline pumps, wells, tunnels, dumpsters,
paths and stairways."

Perhaps the town and AP are opening themselves up to unneccessary
legal liability by not cleaning up the mess...it seems at the very
least we could ask for fencing to be put around the eyesores and
hopefully it would be cheaper for them to just clean it up