--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, Allan Peterson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

12:39:47 PM Eastern Standard Time, Tommy [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote to me:
>     "Hi Mario!...I know you keep close track of AP and I always
respect your opinions.  I wanted to know what you thought of my
column this week.  I've attached it in case you haven't seen it.
>   You can post it anywhere if you wish, because I know you go on a
few different Asbury message boards.
>   Let me know what you think."
>
>   Brief background:  Tommy and I are ideological opposites, and
I've written to triCity a few times criticizing his columns as being
textbook examples of Rove-Rush Ad Hominem Arguments: "Poisoning the
Well and Other Personal Attacks."  (e.g., "I once asked a long-
haired maggot-infested FM-type environmentalist wacko who he thought
was threatening the owl.")

>   For those who've complained they can't access triCity News in
print or the column from the file section of this group, here is the
complete text:

--------------------------------------
>   Justified Right
>   The Conservative Alternative to triCity  by  Tommy DeSeno
>
>   Baronet: The 6th Best Theater In Asbury Park
>
>   Many people have delusions of grandeur, but you are deluded by
triviality.  Eugene Ionesco

>   They’re baaaaaaaaaack!  After an all too brief absence, the
“Nostalgia Nazi” are at it again in Asbury Park.  “Nostalgia
Nazi” are those people who, while arriving in Asbury Park too
recently to have experienced it years ago, somehow claim to have a
longing for things they never saw in the first place.  Nostalgia
Nazi have only read about Asbury Park’s better days, causing them
to mythologize the City.  In their minds, everything in Asbury Park
was far more glorious than in reality it ever actually was.  Don’t
get me wrong--Asbury Park had an enchanting past, but it was
certainly not the Shangri-La that these people think it was.

>   Due to their phony yearning for a past they never had, Nostalgia
Nazi have made the mistake of trying to save buildings in Asbury
Park that really should be bulldozer meat.  Those are the good
ones.  The rest are people who hate Asbury Park’s Beachfront
Redevelopment and will pretend to be “Preservationists” or
“Historical Society Members” if it affords them opportunity to
halt Beachfront progress.

>   One problem I have with these people is their willingness to
care more about old buildings in Asbury than old people in Asbury.

>   Are there worthwhile Eminent Domain issues they could get
behind?  Sure, but they lack the priorities to see them.  They
should be more “people oriented” and care about the business
folks who rode out the 30-year storm here instead of caring for
empty buildings.  Here are some things I’ve never seen from these
supposedly caring people:  I’ve never seen a picket sign saying,
“Save the Kary and Gokberk homes” (they are people raising 4th
generation Asbury Parkers in their homes).  I’ve never seen a
rally to make sure Stanley Tokic, owner of the Adriatic Restaurant
for more than 20 years, gets a prime spot in the Redevelopment.
I’ve never seen a website to raise awareness that Rita Morano of
Rita’s Deli, operating for a several decades here, should also get
her pick of locations in the Redevelopment zone.

>   But nooooooooo!  The unholy alliance of Asbury Newbies and
Meddling Outsiders that comprise this army of “Preservationists”
have brought us to this level of hell:  “Save Tillie” and
“Save the Stone Pony.”  Tillie was the beneficiary of websites,
fundraisers and endless Asbury Park Press “dreaditorials,” all
to save an ugly cartoon void of artistic worth.  Save the Stone
Pony?  Even the European press acted like there is a constitutional
right for college kids to puke on the sidewalk after dollar beer
night.  Good Grief.

>   Think of what they would do to the aesthetic of this City if
they had their way.  We would have no class whatsoever--a bunch of
Tillie faces and more puke bars with rallies to save the old Lyric
porno palace (thankfully they lost that fight).  They should raise
money to help Frank D’Alessandro restore Stephen Crane’s home--
the most historically significant building in the City.  That of
course would take a level of sophistication far beyond the puny
minds of Tillie-lovers.

>   Yes, there is Eminent Domain going on in Asbury Park.  No,  it
isn’t the travesty that is going on in Long Branch, because Asbury
fits into the pre-Kelo state of the law, and Eminent Domain was
needed here.  Oh and yes--I did accept Councilman Keady’s
challenge to debate me on Asbury Radio, and no, it won’t happen,
because the host of that show is too protective of Keady to let me
have at him.

>   Now the Nostalgia Nazi are at it again.  This time it is “Save
the Baronet Theater!” --which was once the 6th best theater in
Asbury Park.  Years ago Asbury Park had the Mayfair Theater, of
glorious baroque architecture.  It was knocked down but should have
been saved.  Today, new people want to complete the cycle of lunacy
by saving a theater that should be knocked down.

>   A word about Pat Fasano, who bought the Baronet 3.5 years AFTER
he knew it became subject to Eminent Domain.  Pat is an Asbury Park
hero.  Unlike others, he has proven that when he starts a project,
he finishes it.  Compare him to Sackman who owns Steinbach’s, the
old Bank Building and Press Complex (all in a row).  I walk past
these gargantuan projects and hear one lousy hammer swinging, when I
should hear 100.  That hammer is drowned out by the sound of the
real estate market crashing down around us.  Fasano would never let
that happen.  He gets the job done.

>   The question is:  What “job” does he want to get done with
the Baronet?  Save it?  Yea right.  What, is Pat now Walter Reade
all of a sudden?  He’s in the movie business?  No, Pat builds
condominiums for a living.  He brags of offering Asbury Partners $10
million for the Redevelopment rights to half the block.  Does anyone
really think he will try to make his money back selling $2 movie
tickets on the weekends?  Please.  We’ve seen this act before.
What’s that old saying--”Fool me once call me…Dominic Santana?
”  The Nostalgia Nazi are just too stupid to see it--again.

>   By the way, Fasano should be granted the sub-developer rights
for Fourth Avenue by Asbury Partners to build condos.  Pat’s
earned it for all he’s done here.

>   I laugh when I hear people talk about the Baronet like it was
Mann’s Chinese Theater or something.  Like the Palace before it,
it’s a lousy cinder-block box that probably took a week and half
to build.  Nothing of importance happened there, and there is no
record of anyone important performing there.  My own memories of the
place is Kung Fu movies on Saturday afternoons.  The only redeeming
value about that is after the movie I could use the Kung Fu on the
creeps waiting outside the joint who tried to jump me for my money.
This is the heritage that these people are trying to save, and they
don’t know it.

>   The histrionics over what was once “the 6th best movie theater
in Asbury Park” is holding up redevelopment, and I hate that.  The
vote to take this place has been postponed twice.  Mayor Sanders,
Deputy Mayor Bruno and Councilman Loffredo are losing focus by
entertaining this B.S. for too long.

>   The latest stall occurred when Asbury Partner’s sent a letter
to the Council assuring all that when they do take the Baronet, they
will continue to operate the theater for a time, so nothing is
lost.  Ok, there are two things wrong with that.

>   First, it is 100% ILLEGAL for them to operate the theater after
using Eminent Domain to take it.  The spirit of Eminent Domain law
is you only take and pay for the real estate, and you must help the
business set up elsewhere.  Asbury Partners cannot step into the
theater owner’s shoes and assume the benefit of all the prior
advertising and good will to continue another man’s business.  If
that can happen, then let’s just give the Iraqis’ our
Constitution; apparently we aren’t using it anymore.

>   Second, although I’m a fan of Larry and Glenn Fishman too,
they have the theater credentials of Bialystock and Bloom -- none.
When they took over the Paramount Theater, operating there was
Asbury Park’s own Premiere Theater Company, doing wonderful
shows.  I don’t claim to know whose fault it was that negotiations
to continue the shows there broke down, but I’m a “results-
oriented” judge of matters, and the result was that our Theater
Company moved to Lincroft.

>   The bottom line is, for all this silly talk by silly people
about saving the ugly old Baronet, neither Fishman nor Fasano will
save it.  It’s gone in favor of condos no matter what (as it
should be).  Stop holding up our agreed upon, court tested
redevelopment plan and get this City back on track.

>   By the way, there is nothing stopping all these supposed lovers
of the Arts from building a new theater is Asbury Park.  That of
course would involve the use of their own money, so don’t count on
it.  Activists only fight to spend OPM--other people’s money.

>   "Ideologies have no heart of their own. They're the whores and
angels of our striving selves." -John Le Carré

>   Mario
>
> See Tillie Saved here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggstrHUmAhM
>   See ad for Palace Amusements: http://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=buLTxQuam_c