In reference to Dan's insights:

Carmel is one of the most beautiful towns in the US. They try to make it look like Tuscany,
but it ain't. Any place where I am one of the youngest guys around is in trouble. The last time that happened was when I visited an uncle in the geriatric ward. A bunch of ultra-rich boring white people. The rolled up the sidewalks at 9 pm. I couldn;t even get a cup of coffee at that time. I got so frustrated by the third (last) day there I felt like smashing a storefront (Tiffany et al) to get arrested. But I didn;t see a cop in 3 days. I would probably have to call 911 to turn myself in. Sonoma wasn't much better, but at least it wasn't Soylent Green.
I had similar feelings, closer to home, when I used to drive my parents to their doctor whose office is in Whiting, NJ. Sometimes during their office visit, I would drive around town to kill some time, get some coffee, etc. At first I couldn't understand why I felt so ill at ease there.

Whiting is virtually all white hair, all white faces (no children though), and, figuratively, all very "white picket fence." Obviously boring, but also, as you mentioned, like Soylent Green: very creepy.

It also reminded me of "Whispering Glades" in The Loved One: An Anglo-American Tragedy.

This may sound corny and may be hard for some to understand, but the creepy feelings wouldn't subside until, driving north on the Parkway, I saw "Exit 100 Asbury Park"; total relief and reality came only as I drove east on Sunset, past the Foodtown and toward Asbury Park.

I no longer need to drive to Whiting, but occasionally, as I drive by some of the gated communities which are popping up like weeds nearby, some of that creepy feeling returns.

Asbury park nj real estate United state flag Asbury park nj
Asbury park real estate United state travel